- Factoring is generally but not exclusively used by companies that are smaller than those that use invoice discounting, usually with an average revenue of £200,000, but some factors will consider startups and businesses with a turnover of £50,000
- The credit control function in a factoring facility is outsourced, thus the client has little control over their sales ledger
- The factoring facility is disclosed i.e. your customer will know that you are using a factoring facility
- Spot factoring is offered by some factoring firms and allows clients to selectively factor their invoices. This is not standard practice, most traditional products offer a whole turnover facility.
- Invoice discounting is usually used by companies that are larger than those that use factoring.
- Different invoice discounters will have different entry requirements but typically revenues must be over £500,000 and in some cases £1 million.
- Invoice discounting helps you keep control and confidentiality over your own sales ledger operations
- Whole invoice discounting and selective invoice discounting products are usually available, however many of the traditional factors don't allow business to get finance against their entire sales ledger, despite the fact that fees are charged against the entire turnover of the business.
Traditional sources of short-term funding like factoring and invoice discounting tend to lock individual businesses into a captive relationship where they are dictated terms by their funding provider. Examples include:
- Whole turnover invoice discounting arrangements
- Ongoing monthly services fees, and high arrangement fees
- Contractual lock-ins with long notice periods
- Security is usually required e.g. debentures and Director personal guarantees
- Facilities can be lowered by the funding provider at will
Traditional sources of funding also have a prescriptive manner in allocating funds and funding applicants. They turn away high growth businesses with a lack of trading history, or where a business model is poorly understood, as this is judged to fall outside their predetermined risk profile.
There are a range of factoring companies that provide invoice finance services. Companies can choose to use spot factoring rather than whole turnover invoice discounting which can be more appropriate when numerous debtors are excluded in a factoring facility.
How MarketInvoice can help
Our invoice discounting solutions allow you to get an advance against your outstanding customer invoices – either on a selective or whole ledger basis. If you choose to add on credit control, you can get the benefits of credit collection support on a fully confidential basis.
It’s quick and easy to access funds, which means you can get the cash flow you need to get on with business. With MarketInvoice, you get:
- Fast funding: apply online in 15 minutes and get a response within 24 hours
- Hassle free experience: easy to use digital interface
- Help in real-time: personal customer support
- Straightforward costs: no hidden fees